Deer Ridge “Annual Meeting”
The Deer Ridge “Annual Meeting” is April 21, 2012 at Joe’s Folly Pavilion.
I will once again not be attending this year’s “annual meeting.” I have been advised by my attorneys to avoid participation in the annual meeting so that I can maintain my rights to future litigation against the board for operating ultra vires since there were at least 23 years of invalid board meetings, decisions and votes between the suspect vote allegedly approving the date change and the required filing on the deed records.
Which Deer Ridge Owners Have The Balls To Stand Up To The Bully Board?
Have any of you noticed the modus operandi around Deer Ridge is for Luther Parker and Joe Thomas, along with the rest of the board, to simply not answer questions they don’t want to answer?
And, when they do answer, their response is vague, arm-waving and without proof? It seems to me that many owners here are intimidated by these jerks to the point that they won’t ask the hard questions and demand direct answers backed by proof. Instead, way too often, nobody seems to push back on these bullies when they refuse to be held accountable for their actions and illegitimate acts.
Wake up, owners! They are screwing around with YOUR investment, your money and your real estate!
Just like the bullies we all had to face in school, the only way to stop bad behavior is to stand up to these jerks and demand transparency and answers.
- So, are there any other Deer Ridge owners with the balls to ask the hard questions, demand real answers and not tolerate vague, incomplete, arm-waving responses?
- Are there any business folks who know how to manage people and hold them accountable for their job performance?
- Are there any investors who know how to read and really analyze financial statements?
- Are there owners who can understand the legalese of our Master Deed and Bylaws and hold Joe Thomas and the board accountable for violations of our governing documents?
If you fit one or more of those four descriptions and refuse to let Luther Parker or Joe Thomas intimidate you any longer, are you willing to go to the annual meeting, stand up and demand real, meaningful, comprehensive answers to the following Dirty Deer Ridge Questions?
Note: Each question has words in blue that are links to the background information on that particular topic. That way, you will be fully prepared for any BS answer or non-answer you get from Luther Parker or Joe Thomas!
The Dirty Deer Ridge Questions
Which Deer Ridge owners have the balls to ask these questions during the annual meeting?
——— Start Cut And Paste To Email These Questions To Joe Thomas And Each Board Member ———–
1. “Luther, in light of the audits showing a $2 million loss, why did you fraudulently state in your November 15, 2011 letter that ‘RML does not cost the HOA. In the past it funded GGRC approximately $45,000 per year. The cost to operate GGRC remains the same with or without RML. HOA fees would not be cut in half?”
2. “Luther, why did you and the board continue to lie to all owners about these massive losses and claim that our our HOA fee could not be greatly reduced if we were not burdened with RML?” If you don’t think Robert Goodman’s financial analysis of these audits is correct, exactly which line items of his report do you think are wrong – and why?
3. “Why are we continuing to struggle with keeping RML when there are clearly other rental management companies that owners can use that are cheaper than RML for Deer Ridge Condos and don’t create the unlimited risk for all owners that we have with RML?”
4. “Why is it that RML needed to raise everyone’s management fee to 50% – but as soon as Robert Goodman successfully negotiated a deal with Cobbly Nob Rentals for 35%, you guys could magically match that much lower rate without RML losing money just 100 days later? I really appreciate that Robert Goodman saved all RML users hundreds of thousands of dollars over the next few years – but I want to know why you all were trying to rip off all the owners by trying to force us all to pay a non-market 50%? I also understand that Pioneer Cabin Rentals is willing to offer the same services as RML and Cobbly Nob Rentals – but for only a 30% management fee – which is a whole lot less than the 50% rip off rate you all instigated for RML last September.”
5. “Since the audits show that RML is losing money, and have always lost money, then why are non-RML owners being charged every month to support what they don’t use and what hurts GGRC?”
6. “Since the audits show that RML is losing an average of $116,000 a year, why are we still in this motel rental business – other than giving Joe Thomas a job and making units available for trade-outs so Joe and board members get golf junkets, and other vacations using our units for your currency?”
7. “To what extent have employees and board members benefited in any way from ‘trade outs‘ that used owners’ units for unlimited free nights as personal currency for Joe Thomas, board members and their families and other employees of RML or GGRC?” Exactly, what trips, restaurant bills, personal favors and what other services, goods and benefits have Joe Thomas and each of the board members, or anyone related to them, ever received as a direct or indirect result of RML ‘trade outs‘? Do you have a printout that shows all owners exactly what nights each of their units were used for free in exchange for these trade outs, exactly what the trade out was for and with whom – and what benefit GGRC or RML gained from each of these trade outs?
8. “Why, after all of these years, do we need to squander money on 24/7 security that costs us over $50,000 extra a year – when Pittman Center police tell us that there has been no marked increase in crime of any kind at Deer Ridge during the past decade? It sure looks like just another slush fund to me. Also, who is Red Hawk Security and why were they chosen for our security when they have no web site and nothing but a Knoxville telephone number? What are their credentials that motivated us to hire them? Does Joe Thomas or any board member or any one related to Joe Thomas or any board member have any ownership or profit participation with Red Hawk Security?”
9. “Why was this security cost treated as a ‘special assessment’ when it looks to me like you guys are going to have this $50,000 expenditure every year if you have your way? Why wasn’t this just added as another part of our already highest-in-East-Tennessee monthly HOA bill?
10. “Why is Joe Thomas and the board intentionally trying to interfere with owners using a different management company other than RML by implementing control freak rules and regulations and add on fees? It looks to me that he is intentionally wanting to hurt and interfere with any owners who want to save money by using someone besides RML. GGRC should ensure that it is a level playing field for all management companies without trying to penalize GGRC owners.”
11. “What possible excuse do you and the board have for not properly escrowing our $45,000 a year property insurance premium as specifically required by Article X Section 3 of our Master Deed? What are those funds being used for in the interim and why the hell are you greatly increasing the risk for all owners by refusing to escrow these payments exactly as required by our Master Deed? Why is it, again, that you all think you can do as you damn well please – and ignore the specific requirements of our regime documents?”
12. “Why is the board continuing to squander our money on its personal vendetta to pursue legal action against Robert Goodman? From what I see, you all started this mess by filing a lawsuit to stop his first amendment right to free speech and his blog – and your vendetta has now already cost GGRC over $25,000 and the end is nowhere in sight. You all may be personally offended by what Goodman says, but you are the ones actually hurting GGRC – not Goodman. Why aren’t you all using your own money for your vendetta legal action instead of wasting GGRC funds?”
13. “Why were the pool french doors with digital access constructed without the required vote of 75% of all owners when it is clearly an ‘addition or improvement’ as defined by Article XII of the Master Deed and Bylaws?
14. Why does the board continue to violate our Master Deed and Bylaws whenever it wants: the doors and other additions and improvements done without a proper 75% vote, the lack of an insurance escrow for Deer Ridge, not providing books and records in strict accordance with Tennessee state law, etc?”
15. “Do GGRC and RML maintain the books and records in exactly the format required by the Tennessee Horizontal Property Act (§66-27 -113.) – i.e., can you show me TODAY (without your ridiculous constraints) the Administrators Book listing for the past 10 years for every item of income and expense for both GGRC and RML in CHRONOLOGICAL order with every line item having an attached receipt or invoice? I don’t want to see financials or audits or other special reports – I want to see the Administrators Book in the exact format explicitly required by Tennessee state law. Do you have it to show me TODAY – and if not, why are the board and Joe Thomas continuing to violate state law and when do you expect to comply with the law?
——— Stop Cut And Paste To Email Above Questions To Joe Thomas And Each Board Member ———–
Those are just some of the basic questions that should be asked face-to-face in the annual meeting. Do you have the balls to ask these questions?
Note: EVERY owner at Deer Ridge has the RIGHT to ask these questions AND get complete, honest answers from the board members and general manager.
Don’t you want to know the real answers to each one of the above questions?
Not Attending The Deer Ridge Annual Meeting?
The good news is that you can still show you are a good enough investor and manager to ask the hard questions and demand real, complete answers.
Send an email to Joe Thomas and every board member.
Just cut and paste the above questions into an email and demand answers. It should take less than a minute of your time. The email addresses for Joe and the board are listed below. Feel free to modify the questions and ask other questions about Deer Ridge, about RML, about the trade outs…about the state required Administrators Book…and anything else you want to know about your property and your investment.
Pretty easy, huh? Are you going to continue to be intimidated by these lying jerks – or are you going to finally demand real answers? Are you going to keep forwarding that same email with follow up phone calls until you finally get answers?
Please copy me on your emails that you send – and any responses that you get!
PS: Be sure and pay attention to everything that happens or is said if you are in the live audience at the annual meeting. Then, read the minutes that you get from Secretary David Barone and see what was left out – and what was falsely spun differently than what actually happened during the meeting. You might be surprised by how tainted and biased David Barone reports things as our Secretary. Please let me know the discrepancies – and I will combine your report with others who attended the meeting and post those differences on this blog.
Gatlinburg Golf & Racquet Club Ridge Management Ltd. – Board of Directors
Email Your Questions To Each Of Them Today!
President Luther Parker
139 Harbor Ridge Lane S
Memphis, TN 38103
Phone: 901-526-0067 (H)
Vice President Thomas Reise
1107 A Czech Lane
Friendship, WI 53934
Phone: 608-339-3089 (H)
Treasurer Larry Ohm, CPA
9315 N. 8000 E. Road
Grant Park, IL 60940
Phone: 815-465-6530 (H)
Secretary David A. Barone
108 Carpenter Place
Monroe. NY 10950
Phone: 845-782-9491 (H)
Director Margie Duncan
9120C Timberbrook Lane
Florence, KY 41042
Phone: 859-384-7376 (H)
General Manager Joseph Thomas
3229 Autumn Lane
Kodak, TN 37764
Phone: 865-932-1669 (H)
Email Your Questions To Each Of Them Today!Tags: Margie Duncan, Larry Ohm, Tom Reise